Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Homestay Part 1: Vava'u

Malo e lelei!

I'm officially at my homestay in Leimatu'a on the island of Vava'u. Everything is going really well so far- the people and my host family are so so nice! My host mom is Helena and my father is Samu. Theyhave 3 small boys- David, who's about 2ish, Losa- 1ish, and Leiwho is 11. Samu is a teacher at primary school, so he can speak English pretty well, and Helena knows a very little bit. But, they have been instructed specifically not to, so we just speak faka Tonga, and I'm pretty lost most of the time. But they just laugh at me (they laugh at everything and everyone) and I'm smiling, laughing, and trying to figure it out!

We got here yesterday morning, and the day was spent eva pe- which means wandering around but includes walking, driving, sitting, loitering-everything- just hanging out! My mom and two of her friends showed me town (Neiafu), the market, the ocean- while teasing me, buying me ice cream,and laughing and singing the whole time. It's really something-everyone is ridiculously friendly and the whole community is completely open. Everyone shares/takes everything and all the doors seem to be always open.

There was an elopement yesterday, so that was the big talk of the town, so to speak, in the weaving hut. In the evening, all the women walked over to the chief's house to watch his adopted daughter and her new husband come w. the minister to ask for forgiveness. He accepted with a lot of joking, and then the groom's family shot and butchered this huge pig as a gift, which was something. They cut it up, and then everyone who had come to watch got a hunk of pig to take back home.Try to picture a dozen or so women, and me!, walking through the roads carrying large pieces of pig carcass- it was awesome.

My host mom is making me a puletaha- traditional Tongan skirt and shirt outfit for church so I'll be sure to try and get photos up when I can! The only thing that is uncomfortable is how respectful they are to all us PCVs. They have cleared out a whole room in their house for each of us, they cook us amazing meals and won't let us help or clean up (although I'mg oing to find a way!) and they even have us eat alone- which is a sign of respect (faka'apa'apa) but it does make me feel a bit uncomfortable. But hopefully in a few weeks I will have settled in and be able to communicate and understand Tongan better!

No comments:

Post a Comment