Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Farwell Vava’u

We left Vava’u for a week of attachment with a current PCV today, and it was such a sad day- so much sadder than any of us had anticipated when we first got here. I can’t believe we’ve been here for 6 weeks already- it simultaneously feels so much longer and like we just got here.

Friday, all of the host families went to the beach for a “kai tunu” (picnic) to all be together and spend the day in the ocean and, of course, eating. My family had Lei’s rugby game, so sadly they weren’t able to be there the whole time, but they came right over afterwards with ice cream for everyone- so great! Helenā was feeling a bit sick because she’s pregnant again (!) which is very exciting. She was so happy telling me, and I can’t wait for them to have another child; her and Samu are such kind people. At the picnic Eric was presented with a 6 lb. can of corned beef (kapa pulu)- the ultimate status food and absolutely disgusting- as he is talking chief, and Sarah came with us and gave a great fakamalo (thank you speech).

Eric and Melanie were the first to leave on Saturday since they headed out to Ha’apai, and them leaving was quite sad. I think Helenā was as sad to see Melanie go as she was to see me- we spent a lot of time together at both our houses. Helenā and Samu ran into town when they found out it was their last day and bought Eric and Mel matching Tongan rugby t-shirts, the same one they bought for me- so sweet. Me, Lulu, and Scott went with Valeti and Simote to bring them to the airport and everyone was just so sad to see them go- the two of them are going to do so well when they get to site!

The next day all the remaining trainees were dolled up by our respective families, and read during the morning church service. After, Helenā completely outdid herself, and cooked an amazing lunch, huge even by Tongan standards, of all my favorite foods: ota ika, lobster, crab, vegetables, fried hopa, maioke- it was amazing. Later that day, after dinner, I gave them the small gift I had: a 2009 calendar of Boston to show them my home and so they could remember me throughout the year, and a photo of the whole family and me that I had taken during my birthday party and blow up into an 8x10 print at the local computer lab. They loved everything, and really enjoyed seeing photos of my home and having me explain all of the pictures. Samu then wrote the nicest note I’ve ever received in my journal along with the family’s contact information, and told me that when I’m back in Vava’u I should come back and visit.

This morning, Helenā cooked an amazing and huge breakfast, and I finally achieved victory: the whole family not only ate with me, but we sat at the dining room table to eat together! I can’t explain how happy this made me. We stopped by Helenā’s mother’s house to say goodbye to her (and Hila’atu definitely made me cry) and pick up her uncle and his son to come to the airport with me. Everyone else from Leimatua was there with their host families and everywhere people were crying, taking photos, and laughing- at times it felt like a scene out of a movie.

I feel so incredibly blessed and lucky to have had such an amazing host family and to have been in such a wonderful village. This was the perfect way to be welcomed into the country, and the inevitable frustrations that occasionally arise living with a host family pale in comparison to how generous and loving my Tongan family has been. I will really miss them, and I am so thankful for their kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment