Monday, January 26, 2009

Health Update

As some of you know, I have been having a few health problems since arriving in Tonga. Aside from the omnipresent fakaleilei (faka = like, leilei = to run, apply to bowel movements…I don’t think I have to explain) that has crippled everyone in group 74 at one time or another, I have had parasites (along with 7 other people during the same week)- delish, and most frustratingly, some form of strep/tonsillitis since the end of October. The first time I was sick during PST the incredibly sore throat was accompanied by a fever, chills, blinding headache, and swollen glands. After a dose of antibiotics the pain went away for about 2 weeks, and then came back. This happened 4 times over the course of PST, and I took 4 doses of antibiotics (and thusly had 4 yeast infections in a topical climate in summer- not fun) up until swearing-in. One of the medical officers strongly thought I needed to have my tonsils taken out, as did the one Tongan ear, nose, and throat doctor in the whole country. Since there is no PC doctor in Tonga and the hospitals here leave lots to be desired, it’s PC policy to medically evacuate volunteers with critical health problems/ those who need surgery to either Brisbane, Australia or Fiji. However, due to PC policies and red tape and it being a government organization, if a trainee needs to be med-vaced before they swear-in then they are medically separated and sent home. Boooo. So, a few weeks before swearing-in the Tongan doctor prescribed a double dose of strong penicillin-based antibiotics to hold me over until I was officially a volunteer. I’ve been feeling a lot better, but my throat is still constantly sore, so PCMO flew me back to Tongatapu last week to do some tests and put in a field consult to DC asking to send me to Brisbane to get everything checked out and possibly remove my tonsils. We did some strep tests and cultures, but in the end, DC denied my request to be med-vaced. So, I’m back in Ha’apai and we’re going to keep monitoring everything and see what happens. On the plus side, I got to stay in the medically apartment at the Peace Corps office for a few days with air conditioning (!) and hot showers (!!!), hang out with a lot of group 73 who were back for Mid-Service Training, and eat vegetables- they have veggies year round at the market in Nuku’alofa! All in all, not a bad trip. I will make sure to keep you all posted on any health updates that may arise. Until then, I hope all of you are happy and well, and fully enjoying and appreciating the selection of produce available at your local supermarket!

No comments:

Post a Comment