Tuesday, December 30, 2008

New Week, Same Problems

Brett, Kate, Sarah, and I came back to Pangai early yesterday morning from our Christmas getaway. Later that morning, Viliami flew back to Ha’apai and we had a big meeting with all the teachers, PTA members, and church officials who were in town over which house to put me in. Basically, it just sucked. The whole meeting was all in Tongan and I could only understand about ¼ of everything. Plus, who doesn’t love a room full of strangers sitting around talking about and pointing at you while you just sit there. In the end the eventual decision was that they would have to wait until all the teachers were back to vote again, but for now I could stay in the house. Wonderful. Viliami went back and forth on whether to have me unpack and begin to settle in or not, and still talked about moving my site to Vava’u. I don’t know…eventually we decided to have me move in for now. We’ll see how this all goes. Obviously, this wasn’t really the meeting I was hoping for, and I very clearly ended up in the middle of church/school politics that I know nothing about. I hope this gets easier and I can at least meet some people/ neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment