Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Some Last Minute Changes, Part II

New Site: Pangai, Ha’apai. My new assignment will be teaching English at a Free Wesleyan Side School (a primary school where English, rather than Tongan, is the primary language of instruction) in Pangai. While I’m really happy to still be in Ha’apai, I’m a bit disappointed to be in the “city” so to speak. I was really looking forward to being in a smaller community and to having Pangai to go to as needed. But, as a few people have pointed out, Pangai is hardly Nuku’alofa. There are only a few thousand people living there, 3 “big” stores, one restaurant… Also, I’ll be living on the school compound, so hopefully I’ll be able to get that small community feel at the school. Admittedly, I’m not wild about now being in a church school vs. a government school- I’m having enough problems with the prevalence and power of churches here (which I will most definitely post about soon) not to mention pretty much having to go to church every Sunday, but with any luck the school portion will be kept separate from the actual church and its leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment